I moved to Greeley in 1989 following three years as a military police officer in the United States Army, then attended the University of Northern Colorado where I received a bachelor’s degree in sociology with an emphasis in criminal justice. I worked for the Evans’ police department for a short time before being hired by the Greeley Police Department. While at the Greeley Police Department I received numerous departmental commendations, Greeley Police Officer’s Associations (GPOA) Officer of the year in 1998, and the Greeley Police Department's Medal of Valor.
In 2004, I graduated from the University of Colorado at Denver with a master’s in criminal justice. In May of 2019, I completed a concentration in emergency management and homeland security at the University of Colorado at Denver.
My career in law enforcement was cut short as a result of being hit by a drunk driver while conducting a traffic stop. I retired from the Greeley Police Department as a police officer and began working for the Greeley Police Department as a neighborhood organizer that went into neighborhoods with drug and gang issues and worked with the neighbors to improve the safety of the neighborhoods. This program was recognized by the International Association of Chiefs of Police with the 2006 Community Policing Award.
I was also lucky enough to meet my wife Erin while attending college and we have been together for 28+ years, 25+ of those married. Erin and I raised three children in Greeley who have all gone on to make us very proud.
I served as the Mayor of Greeley from 2007-2009 during very challenging economic times, some have referred to as "The Great Recession". Despite these challenges:
- Leprino Foods the world’s largest manufacturer of mozzarella cheese agreed to move to Greeley and open a plant.
- Crime was major campaign issue and 8 police officers were added to the police department and a 20 percent reduction in crime was realized across the board with a 25% reduction in gang crime.
- King Soopers built their Northgate location which now anchors one of Greeley’s economic engines.
- United States Army, Military Police Officer (1986-1989)
- Evans Police Officer (1995-1997)
- Greeley Police Officer (1997-2002) (Retired)
- Civilian Employee at the Greeley Police Department (2002-2007)
- Security Director at University Schools in Greeley (2007-Present)
- Bachelor’s degree from the University of Northern Colorado in Sociology with and emphasis in Criminal Justice (1992)
- Master’s degree from the University of Colorado at Denver in Criminal Justice (2004)
- Master's certificate from the University of Colorado at Denver in Emergency Management and Homeland Security (2019)
- City of Greeley Mayor (2007-2009)
- Catholic Charities Northern (2006-2007)
- Greeley Water Board (2007-2009)
- Greeley Chamber Board (2007-2009)
- Upstate Colorado Board (2007-2009)
- Youth and Family Connections Board (2010-2011)
- Weld County Community Corrections Board (2013-2019)
- Greeley Police Department's Medal of Valor
- Person of the Year, Youth and Family Connections (2009)